Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Bluebird - Painting from a Nature Photograph


Painting from a Nature Photograph

If you are choosing to paint from a photograph, there are some points to keep in mind. Shoot the photographs with the image of the painting you want to create. Capture all the details as a reference for your artwork. If it’s not the “perfect” photo, you can still take whatever you want from it. You’re the artist!

When photographing outside early morning or afternoon is the best time to capture your subject.

The example I’m showing today is a photograph of a bluebird on its nest at the Massabesic Audubon Center. With patience and a telephoto lens, I was able to capture this beautiful bird on its nest as the main focus for my painting. I left the background without “clutter” so it wouldn’t detract from my subject.

If you are photographing flowers, be sure to include the stems, leaves, buds as flowers as well as the back of the flowers for color and lighting references.




I hope you enjoy my work and look forward to continuing to blog more photographic tips to capture animals, people, etc.

Until the next time,
Shirley Perry

Blog note: Thank you Shirley for the guest post.  Shirley is an experienced photographer and a new painter. She is enjoying her painting lessons with Anthony Williams at Hobby Lobby.


No comments:

Post a Comment